Escalators are a ubiquitous part of today’s life. From allowing people to get quickly and efficiently to train platforms, to traversing the various levels of airports, in many cases, escalators have replaced stairs as the preferred method of traveling between levels. However, escalators are mechanical machines with many moving parts, and, in some case, these parts do not stop moving merely because a human part gets in the way. Further, children sometimes look at escalators as a type of amusement park attraction and will attempt to “ride” the escalator, increasing the risk of an injury. When escalator accidents do happen, retaining the services of an experienced personal injury attorney can be the difference in collecting reimbursement for injuries or being forced to pay out of pocket.
Recently, a Pawtucket, Rhode Island man was killed after falling off an escalator in a mall. A witness told a news crew on the scene that the man was initially “clowning around,” riding on the rail of the escalator, and fell off, hitting his head and suffering severe head trauma.
The legal theory for these types of injuries is negligence. To succeed in such a case, a plaintiff must prove the following elements:
Further, in Illinois, the theory of contributory negligence says that if the plaintiff is found to bear some degree of responsibility for the accident, any financial award would be adjusted accordingly. Thus, as an example, if the plaintiff is deemed to be 25% at fault, and the total amount awarded by a jury was $1,000,000, then the plaintiff would only receive $750,000, which represents a reduction of 25% of the award. Further, Illinois follows a modified contributory negligence rule, meaning that if the plaintiff is deemed to be 50% at fault or greater than he/she will be barred from recovering any money for the injury.
Common Escalator Accidents
Most escalator accidents not directly attributable to careless acts by the rider are caused by the following common defects:
In addition, as alluded to above, escalators are a source of intrigue for children. Consequently, escalator accidents oftentimes will involve children, who are not yet old enough to understand their dangers. Children are typically injured in entrapment issues because they stand very close to the escalator side panels as they try to hold onto the railing. Not only their footwear but, sometimes, their hands and feet can get trapped in the escalator’s moving parts.
Contact a Lombard Escalator Injury Lawyer
If you were injured due to an escalator accident, and you believe the elevator operator or property owner is at fault, you or your loved one should not have to shoulder the cost of recovery alone. Contact an attorney experienced in such accidents as soon as possible. The dedicated DuPage County personal injury attorneys at Mevorah Law Offices, LLC understand the pain you are experiencing and will use our expertise in handling escalator accidents to formulate a strategy which can help get you or your loved one the compensation you or they deserve. Contact our Lombard office today at 630-932-9100 for a free consultation.
Whether you are going through a divorce, injured in an accident, need to file a workers' compensation claim, charged with a crime, immigrating to the United States, or need to file for bankruptcy, Mevorah Law Offices LLC can help. Our trial lawyers have over 40 years of experience helping clients throughout Northern Illinois from five offices in Lombard, Bloomindale, Naperville, St. Charles, and Chicago.
Steven Mevorah has assembled experienced attorneys under one roof so that his clients need not search for a new attorney each time they need help. Mr. Mevorah has also established a wide network of additional attorneys so that his clients merely need to stop by Mevorah Law Offices LLC to find the attorney they need.
Our practice is focused on meeting your needs with flexible hours and locations to serve you: